September 18, 2013

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-12T Autobots Tigertrack (Lamborghini Countach LP500S)

Who is sick of my Yellow bots now? LOL!!


From tfwiki.net :
A fierce and dedicated sentry, Tigertrack (タイガートラック Taigatorakku) patrols Autobot installations with unmatched vigilance. His incredibly acute sensor packages enable him to spot approaching enemies through extreme low-visibility conditions, and can even see through camouflage screens and other optical illusions. Combined with powerful weapons and blazing speed, Tigertrack is one tough bot to get past!

WIth the vast Transformers toys catalogue over the years, seems like Tigertrack is only officially released twice. The first in 2003 (Generation 1 or G1) as a mail-away exclusive through issue 60 of Figure O magazine, Tigertrack is a redeco of the original Sideswipe toy, transforming into a Lamborghini Countach LP500S. As he was released only in Japan, his spring-loaded missile launcher is fully operational. Several factory-applied decals on the original version were replaced by painted tampographs, like his headlamps.
Pre-orders for this toy closed on December 20 of 2002. The base mold is also used for Clamp Down, Deep Cover and Red Alert.

The 2nd release is in Jul 2013 under Takara Tomy Masterpiece series. Masterpiece Tigertrack is an Tokyo Toy Show / TakaraTomy Mall-exclusive redeco of MP-12 Lambor, and transforms into a licensed Lamborghini Countach LP500S. His head uses Red Alert's face and Lambor's helmet, and comes with black versions of the jackhammer-like pistons from the Amazon.com release of MP-12. He also features a few more paint operations based on the original toy than his mold-mates, plus his faction symbol is a customer-applied sticker rather than a tampograph, so owners can have him closer emulate his pre-Transformers Diaclone iteration. If they feel so inclined.
Tigertrack comes in a monochrome box with monochrome instructions, both of which have detail on the history of this obscure character.
This mold was also retooled to make MP-14 Red Alert.

And there was a third toy of this character albeit was, apparently, from an individual effort ie not an official toy release per se. I'm sure you have heard of "World Smallest Transformers" (aka WST) one time or another. Read more of the product here if you are interested.

So Tigertrack, in both official incarnations, are exclusives. And being a rookie in Transformers characters, it is easy to mistake Tigertrack with Sundstreaker. I even believed both are of the same guy (erm.. bot) just with a different name for different market. Apparently, both are unique on their own. Sunstreaker has a head design in the vibe of Wheeljack while Tigertrack has almost the same design as Sideswipe.


The car mode for MP-12T is that of the venerable Lamborghini Countach LP500s. Futuristic looking super car, with lift up doors, during my time as a kid. Still a super car today, capable of turning few heads I firmly belief. Somewhat dated in design but has all that retro vibe all around.
I am a little disapointed that the toy came with plastic tires that made it looking kinda cheapo KO-ish. And Takara call this a "Masterpiece". Absurdly lacking here. The paint work saves the day for Tigertrack and that nice egg-yokish yellow scheme went straight up my alley. The slight gloss on the painted part gave it an overall class and successfully set itself apart from cheap KO reproduction. Being fully plastic made, the little vehicle lack a little heft. Not a problem there for me.
If you are following this blog often enough, by now you should know I don't bother to post picture of my Transformers alternate vehicular mode. The robot is what it matters don't you think? Who cares about the cars and trucks and planes we see everyday.

Tigertract robot mode did not immediately grow on me. I took a little time fiddling it and posing with it and finally taking some picts that it start to grow onto me. Articulations are intermediate at best and it can do a few dynamic pose but not a lot of poses you can get out of it. Could also be due to my inept toy posing skills or any of it to speak of heh!
I'm always amazed at the engineering and design of such toys. From a totally car looks to a fairly good looking robot. The designer must have cracked their head to design the mechanics. I spent a good 30mins or so to fully transform it from car mode to robot mode. Note that I haven't been transforming a Transformers - of any sorts - since like 8 to 9 years ago. It is a nerve wrecking experience as some joints are harder to split than the other. Since the whole structure are made in plastic, there is always a real fear that my fat fingers will break something when a bigger than normal force is used. Luckily, nothing broken eventually. The transformation guide is informative enough but sometimes you scratched your head on how the pictures is being presented. Should have consulted Youtube instead.
The set also came packed with 2 x black pile drivers for both arms as well as a blaster rifle. Also had a decal sheet that have 2 x red Autobots logo on it, 1 big and 1 smaller. Instruction sheet and thats about it.

There are "KO" versions going around the market. Some say they are not really "KO" but were for China's market. Some say they are factory rejects and the innovative Chinese merchants bought (or stole) rejects and repackage them for selling at a lower retail price. I don't know which version is the right version but a quick eBay check reveals lots of MP-12 Sideswipe & MP-14 Red Alert at half the original retail price. Pretty sure mine is an original as all the report for differentiation on the web points to mine being authentic. Whether mine is indeed authentic or not, it is very well done and had a good finish.
Have Masterpiece MP-19 Smokescreen on order and am itching to add my Lamborghini collection with the eBay half priced (and KO) MP-12 Sideswipe and MP-14 Red Alert.

Tigertrack MP-12T is the first Transformers toy (or shall I say, a transformable Transformer toy... I know you saw some Kreo in this blog heh!) I bought after departing from the Transformers collecting arena. I'm always curious about the Masterpiece series as they look very well done and also true to cartoon G1 rendition of Autobots / Decepticons design. Seriously, I knew no background about Tigertrack at the time when I bought it. Just that it is the more affordable one around and thought I'd give it a shot. It doesn't bow me over but I'm getting more curious about this series after I had spent enough time playing with it. I started looking up eBay trying to find some earlier Masterpiece release of main character and to comtemplate adding some into my collection.
I went on to buy a few used Alternators (which some of it were showcased in this blog earlier) and Alternity.
Some weeks later, I chanced on a TRU Hasbro Masterpiece MP-02 Soundwave and I bought it too. Will write about it separately. But that soundwave have compounded a little bit more disappointment and I'm wondering why call it "Masterpiece" when there are still much room for improvement.

No comments: